Monday 29 September 2008

What Happens In Blackpool... - Episode 6

...Is then posted on this blog.

So this past week I went to Blackpool with the family. It was Cherry's cousin's 30th birthday so they were having a big celebration. Pleasure Beach during the day, and a big party at night.

We arrived in the area by late afternoon and were staying with Cherry's parents' house in Poulton, a town that's just outside of Blackpool. The immature person inside of me laughed to myself every time I heard the word "Poulton." Haha, it sounds like poultry!

The whole family is really nice and I got along with them quite well. It's funny cause the grandmas and great grandmas are all into the party scene, so when it came time to go out on Saturday night for the party and clubbing afterward, they were all into it and filled with drinks to prove it lol. (I don't think they'd mind if I said that too.) Overall, they were very fun.

So let me tell you what I did on Friday night. You know the fireworks that we have every year in Vancouver? Symphony of Fire or something like that? Well, they have that here too. Actually, it's exactly like the one we have in Vancouver because apparently it's a traveling show. The four countries competing were Canada, Germany, UK and China. China won of course cause they're crazy good like that so we got to watch their winning performance at the finale on Friday. Yeah, they definitely deserved to win. It was GOOD. M thought they were too loud, but J really liked it. It was really quite cute.

As we were driving back to the house, we drove along the promenade which has all the illuminations. Every year Blackpool has this "festival" that features all these tableaus that you can drive or walk by. Some of them are really quite good! There was one with Postman Pat! And My Little Pony!

Side note: Matt, every time I think of Postman Pat, I think of that Mr. Bean episode where he puts that random baby in the Postman Pat machine with a like 60 quarters and leaves him there while he goes on the rides. lol Oh and also saying, "Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his jolly grey hat" and you correcting me with "black and white cat."

...You know I hang out with kids too much when I'm as excited to see a picture of My Little Pony made up of lights.

Saturday: I went to Pleasure Beach! And I went on roller coasters! Yes, ME! The family bought me a ride pass so I couldn't exactly let it go to waste. I started out with the "Wild Mouse" ride which happens to be exactly like the mouse ride at Playland - dangerous, scary and a complete wonder it's still around (let alone made duplicates of in other countries!). Then I went off with Cherry's cousin and her friends for a good ol' roller coaster of a time. But first Grahame took me on "The Big One" because we were walking past it. He's all, "Oh let's just go on it while we're here" and I'm all, "Oh yeah, heh heh, sounds good." *Nervous laugh as I'm about to throw up*

This is it:


Yeah. I went on THAT. "See Hayley Die."

I'm not gonna lie, I was definitely cursing the entire time going up that first "hill." I could not believe I was on that thing! But once it was over, I realized just how fun it was and I decided to go on all the other roller coasters and crazy rides. By the end of the day, I no longer had that terrible nervous feeling in my gut but rather a pretty relaxed feeling of excitement. Geez louise, I totally conquered my fear of rides! Awesome? Oui! Oui! I think it's the fact that I went skydiving this past summer, which is way more dangerous. After that, I could do anything! ...Except eat gluten.

Unfortunately there was only enough time to go on five rides before we had to go and get ready. That's pretty much the end of my weekend too cause I babysat the kiddies in the evening and next morning while the adults dealt with their "fatigue."

Oh wait no! Sunday afternoon we had a Sunday Roast! Outside in the garden! How English is THAT?! It was actually the perfect afternoon outside - sunny, good food, surrounded by lots of chatty people, and strawberries. English strawberries are sooo good. And heck, they're still around! They're not quite as good as Richmond ones, but I suppose I'm just happy to be eating them "out of season." I was gonna take a picture of all of us eating outside, but I got a little caught up in the event. Instead, here's a video! ...But it's not of the lunch, cause that would be boring.

See Hayley Talk About Blackpool


Anyway, I'm uber uber tired from this weekend so I'm just going to go to bed now. Good night!

H-Po

No comments: